[OSM-talk] Fwd: hello form Greece

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Feb 13 13:08:32 GMT 2009

Frederik Ramm <frederik <at> remote.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Douglas Furlong wrote (relayed):
> > How can i bring my own ((from C:), Geotiff images (i mean tiff +tfw) as
> > digitizing background??.(I can see that through a plugin called WMSplugin i
> > can see images from yahoo.)
>
> You have to upload and rectify your image through the the Metacarta
> rectifier or Tims's Map Warper here: http://warper.geothings.net/
>
> After that you can use the WMS plugin to access the warped image over
> the net.

Hi,

I wonder if there is any other off-line GIS editor than JOSM that can only use
imagery through WMS but not open any local image files directly.  I am a rather
experienced MapServer user and it is not extraordinary hard for me to run local
WMS on the same machine than JOSM and use my own imagery that way, but somehow
it feels a bit dull.
You may want to try another way: take a GIS program like OpenJUMP, QGis or uDig,
open your images with it and digitize your features.  Save and convert data to
GPX format and open that with JOSM. Integrate with existing OSM data and upload.