[OSM-talk] Fwd: hello form Greece

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Feb 13 14:51:21 GMT 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> > That's true, by running local (or remote) WMS there is not
> much to care about warping, knowing the original projection
> of image is enough.
>
> I was thinking of images that do not have any projection, let
> alone a "known" projection. Most use cases where people ask
> "how can I put this image as a JOSM background" are cases
> where they have e.g. scanned a site plan for a camp site or
> forest walk or whatever, or maybe not even scanned it but
> took a photography of it from an angle ;-)

Qgis Georeferencer plugin suit well this situation (together with
not-yet existing OSM-WMS). User can open the scan or digital photo in
one window, existing OSM data in another, find a bunch of corresponding
points for ground control points and Ping -you are ready. I mean ready
to start fighting who has the copyright of the new OSM derived rectified
image :)
Of course this is not possible if there are no OSM data gathered on that
area yet.