[OSM-talk] [tagging] RFC :left/:right (asymmetrical roadside features)

Sun Feb 15 22:59:34 GMT 2009

Further to Tobias's raising of :<mode>, :wet, :<direction> etc. for
pseudovoting, I'd like to raise a general method for tagging properties
of the two sides of the road:

   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/right_left

The proposal suggests an interpretation of suffixes like

   <property>:left=<value>
   <property>:right=<value>

which works in a backwards-compatible way and which is machine-
interpretable for different classes of application. It does not suggest
any particular keys for <property>, however it might ultimately be used
to resolve the inability to specify which side(s) of the road a cycleway
is on, for example.

I think it would work quite well for static, non-access-related features
applicable only to single sides of the road. Abutters, cycleways, names
spring to mind as immediate uses.

--
Andrew Chadwick