[OSM-talk] [tagging] RFC :left/:right (asymmetrical roadside features)

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Tue Feb 17 16:53:44 GMT 2009

Mike Harris wrote:
> Much encouraged that there is a coder (?)

Well, coder of a sort. It certainly would help if the suffixes were
generally well known, documented and consistent so that if something has
a :left on the end of it, software doing reversals knows that it should
flip it to a :right every time without having to care about the part
before the colon.

> view that it's pretty
> simple to implement automated left /right tag reversal if a way is
> reversed (and I assume the main renderers are sense-aware where ways
> are concerned?).

Sense-aware? Yes, given that they all render oneway just fine. Ways are
defined as an ordered set of nodes too, so the bit in the middle should
be OK.

(Whether something *should* be rendered is a different issue, of course,
and always should be. There'd be a case for rendering side-specific
names or parking in the default view, and bike lanes for the cycle
layer, IMO. But that's just MO.)

--
Andrew Chadwick