[OSM-talk] Large OSM "globe" style images

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 18 06:47:22 GMT 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     this is probably a niche application but I have just played around a
> bit with the aim to create large (as in 5000x5000 pixel or bigger)
> globe-shaped images with tiles at home tiles.
>
> On a whole-world level, tiles at home tiles give a better impression of
> "where we have something" than the Mapnik ones. But Marble, which
> creates nice "globe" pictures, uses Mapnik, so I modified Marble's tile
> source and after that tricked Marble into running on a virtual 5000x5000
> desktop so I could grab a nice image off of it.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/marble.jpg
>
> And here is how to do it (needs Linux):
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Frederik_Ramm/Creating_Very_Large_Marble_Images

That's nice! And now 360 pictures, all one degree rotated and a nice java
application that you can rotate the globe.
Oh, you need images for rotation around the poles too. I guess this is not
something that can be rendered realtime?
Nothing niche about it. I bet Google has plans for something like this too.

Maarten