[OSM-talk] Large OSM "globe" style images

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:38:38 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I would be interested in hearing other techniques for creating similar
> images with other tools. I'm sure it must be possible with Mapnik but
> you will have to import the whole planet and it will take ages to render
> that level of detail, and you would not have the interactivity that
> comes with Marble.

Talking of Marble, I've had recent conversations with some of the devs
about exposing the pan/rotate/zoom controls through dcop (for external
scripting). This is now done in svn, but I haven't had a chance in the
last week to play with it - but it might be nice for exhibitions etc
to be automatically animating zooming around the world and in on
different places. I've already found demoing the cyclemap at
exhibitions to be more attention-grabbing when done using a globe
rather than a flat-layers interface.

Just food for thought if anyone has some time.

Cheers,
Andy