[OSM-talk] Large OSM "globe" style images

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Feb 18 13:28:49 GMT 2009

Hi, one of the Marble developers here...

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 12:38:38 Andy Allan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> > I would be interested in hearing other techniques for creating similar
> > images with other tools. I'm sure it must be possible with Mapnik but
> > you will have to import the whole planet and it will take ages to render
> > that level of detail, and you would not have the interactivity that
> > comes with Marble.
>
> Talking of Marble, I've had recent conversations with some of the devs
> about exposing the pan/rotate/zoom controls through dcop (for external
> scripting).

I suppose that you mean DBUS here.  DCOP is for KDE3, and Marble is a Qt4 /
KDE4 application.

> This is now done in svn, but I haven't had a chance in the
> last week to play with it - but it might be nice for exhibitions etc
> to be automatically animating zooming around the world and in on
> different places. I've already found demoing the cyclemap at
> exhibitions to be more attention-grabbing when done using a globe
> rather than a flat-layers interface.

Marble also has a nice swish-to-location feature that is very attention
grabbing.  If you haven't seen it, you can enable it in the settings dialog.

> Just food for thought if anyone has some time.

We would love to help you with this.  I'm a pretty avid OSM'er myself.

Btw (not to hijack the thread or anything), how did the national chapters of
the OSM foundation fare?

	-Inge