[OSM-talk] Cycle Map layer

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:42:14 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Matt Toups <matthew at cloudmade.com>:
>> Dave Stubbs wrote:

>>> Yes, it only updates when I prod it.
>>>
>>> Prodding it now... may take a while though.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>> The coastlines for the cycle map in North America seem quite old, will
>> those also be updated?
>>
>> I made many adjustments to the Mississippi River (and other bodies of
>> water) in New Orleans some months ago which are currently not showing on
>> the cycle layer.  (In fact, the other style layers on opencyclemap.org
>> -- CloudMade style, Mobile style, NoNames style -- also have out of date
>> coastlines.)
>>

> As of this morning coastlines on the cyclemap should now be
> representative of the OSM data from about 2 weeks ago (I wasn't joking
> when I said it might take a while :-) -- this is mostly me setting
> something off then forgetting about it for a couple of days... then
> andy prodding me again)
>
> We don't update it in pieces, so the whole world gets updated.
> It will take a while for the tiles to update completely though.

By "a while" Dave means it currently takes 5.5 days to update all the
tiles that are cached on the cycle map. It starts with the lowest zoom
and works with parrallel threads, so some low-zoom levels are already
completed with the new coastlines.

I'll be attempting to remember to update them a bit more frequently in future.

Cheers,
Andy