[OSM-talk] Large OSM "globe" style images

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:44:46 GMT 2009

On Wed February 18 2009 1:47:22 am Maarten Deen wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     this is probably a niche application but I have just played around a
> > bit with the aim to create large (as in 5000x5000 pixel or bigger)
> > globe-shaped images with tiles at home tiles.
> >
> > On a whole-world level, tiles at home tiles give a better impression of
> > "where we have something" than the Mapnik ones. But Marble, which
> > creates nice "globe" pictures, uses Mapnik, so I modified Marble's tile
> > source and after that tricked Marble into running on a virtual 5000x5000
> > desktop so I could grab a nice image off of it.
> >
> > Here is an example:
> >
> > http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/marble.jpg
> >
> > And here is how to do it (needs Linux):
> >
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Frederik_Ramm/Creating_Very_Large
> >_Marble_Images
>
> That's nice! And now 360 pictures, all one degree rotated and a nice java
> application that you can rotate the globe.

Erm, I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying here.
Marble *already* provides an interactive globe. And it's written in C++/Qt,
so, unlike a Java app, it looks native on all platforms.

Give it a try: http://edu.kde.org/marble/download.php

> Oh, you need images for rotation around the poles too. I guess this is not
> something that can be rendered realtime?
No, it just fetches tiles from the OSM servers.
> Nothing niche about it. I bet Google has plans for something like this too.
Google Earth?