[OSM-talk] Computing the 12-mile line

Aun Johnsen (via Webmail) skippern at gimnechiske.org
Sat Feb 21 11:51:19 GMT 2009

I created control lines perpendicular on the coast and used these to find
the nodes for the 12-nm line, where the distance to other country was less
than 24 nm I used the same technique to find the mereidan line between the
countries. I did this along the entire coast of Brazil. I will need to redo
it with a script and a position database for baseline, 12nm, 24nm and eez

I used JOSM, as I can move around on the map freely, and get lengths of
lines as I create them (12nm = 22224m)

--

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:41:26 +0000, Thomas Wood
<grand.edgemaster at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I just tagged up the one I found in the database, I attempted to use
> GIS software to create a section where it misses a scottish island,
> but failed after 2-3 days of playing, I can't recall who put the data
> in originally.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing any code put into svn for others to use.
>

> On 20/02/2009, Adrian Frith <adrian at frith.co.za> wrote:
>> For those of you who have been adding the 12-mile "territorial waters"
>> line: did you calculate that data by offsetting the coastline/baseline?
>> And if so, how did you do it? I mean: what software did you use, and
>> how?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adrian

Brgds