[OSM-talk] Locating objects in Google Maps/Earth

LeedsTracker leedstracker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 14:22:37 GMT 2009

Hello all,

Sorry to open this up again, but...

I just uploaded my first pic to http://commons.wikimedia.org It gives
the option to add a geo location for where you took the photo from.
This page gives many methods for doing that, including locating on
Google Maps or Google Earth:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Geocoding

If I used this method to tweak the position of a feature (e.g.
building, road crossing, postbox) in OSM, would it be A Bad Thing?

E.g. I take a photo of a level crossing, locate in in Google Maps,
upload and tag it in WikiMedia Commons - no problem it seems.

Is this different from using the same method to adjust the level
crossing node in OSM accordingly?

In my mind, both things are just entries in a database. WikiMedia
Commons seems happy to share this data under the same licence as the
photo I took.

I assume Google know about this and don't object. At what point does
something become a derived work?

yours confused,
LT