[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:26:00 GMT 2009

Ed

I guessed it was a little t-i-c (:>) but as it raised an issue I was
interested in, I took the opportunity to post!

You have returned the compliment!

As what might be described as a "footpath worker" (and getting very involved
outside of OSM in all sorts of footpath issues), when I was a complete OSM
newbie (as opposed to having 'P' plates) I read the wiki avidly and was a
bit surprised to find that the recommendation for UK (should be England and
Wales anyway!) public footpaths (i.e. public rights of way on foot) was
highway=footway plus foot=yes. Whereas imho it should be foot=designated.
But as a newbie I didn't then dare to rock the boat and have now tagged
hundreds of ways with foot=yes! But your first thought seems eminently
sensible - foot=designated where there is a public 'right' of way and
foot=yes where a path is physically capable of being walked on foot. By the
same token, imho, a public bridleway (with 'bridleway' as defined in rights
of way law) should be highway=track plus foot=yes and horse=designated and
(usually - this is a more complex legal issue) bicycle=yes. But the wiki
recommends foot=yes plus horse=yes etc. In short, the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_public_rights_of_way doesn't seem to
know about x=designated at all.

There is a little sentence on the same page that reads:

"It would be ideal (to ensure your data shows up in renderers) to use the
following combinations of tags."

So maybe that was why =designated was not used (as I have never used it
myself, I haven't checked the rendering - but then there is the old saw
about not tagging for the renderers!).

Yet another take on all this is found on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access !

If we were starting from scratch I would strongly recommend the use of
=designated for public rights of way but, unless someone wants to set up a
new bot, this would require a huge amount of re-tagging (and a bot for the
change would be hard to program unless one had knowledge of the rights of
way status of each and every footway etc.).

In an ideal and consistent logical world (i.e. not a wiki?!) we would
perhaps use =designated, =permissive and =no for legality, reserving =yes
for physical characteristics enabling the specified type of use (and perhaps
implying permissive). This would also help with the problem of multi-user
paths that are not public rights of way, such as most cycleways forming part
of the regional and national networks - foot=permissive, bicycle=permissive,
motorcar=no, motorcycle=no, horse=??? - as opposed to the cycleways that are
specifically for cyclists alongside major roads (sometimes split only by a
painted line from a parallel footway) - foot=no, bicycle=designated, etc.

Where I would really like to see the "old hands" at osm chiming in on this
whole nexus of issues is to provide advice as to how to be logical and
consistent - and yet avoid massive retrospective changes to tagging!

Where do we go from here!

Mike