[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? & otherduplicate tags [tagging]

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 15:53:44 GMT 2009

2009/2/24 Mike Harris <mikh43 at googlemail.com>:
> Dave says:
>
> "I wrote it to do some more complex duplicate removal for the cycle map (as a pre-processor before osm2pgsql). The key one being highway=path, bicycle=yes which as far as I can tell is a duplicate of highway=cycleway. It's not actually rolled out yet though I keep meaning to do the necessary tweaking of the tool-chain."
>
> Imho, this may be an illustration of why a bot (or even a pre-processor) could be problematic. I would see the tag bicycle=yes as meaning that it is 'possible' to cycle along the path - but that doesn't necessarily make it a cycleway (highway=cycleway). It might be one - but was it designed primarily for cyclists? What rights for pedestrians? I'm not advocating highway=path other than as a last resort but if the character of this path is such that it can be cycled on then it presumably can be walked on. It's more a question of whether it was intended primarily as a footway, a cycleway or a multi-user way?

That's quite right. I really don't understand most highway=path
tagging, but I'm fairly confident that as far as the cycle map
rendering is concerned these are roughly the same thing. Preprocessors
have the advantage in that they don't alter the data for everyone
else, and they can make judgements that are known to be at least
mostly correct for the target use.

Dave