[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? & otherduplicate tags [tagging]

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:39:00 GMT 2009

Dave says:

"I wrote it to do some more complex duplicate removal for the cycle map (as a pre-processor before osm2pgsql). The key one being highway=path, bicycle=yes which as far as I can tell is a duplicate of highway=cycleway. It's not actually rolled out yet though I keep meaning to do the necessary tweaking of the tool-chain."

Imho, this may be an illustration of why a bot (or even a pre-processor) could be problematic. I would see the tag bicycle=yes as meaning that it is 'possible' to cycle along the path - but that doesn't necessarily make it a cycleway (highway=cycleway). It might be one - but was it designed primarily for cyclists? What rights for pedestrians? I'm not advocating highway=path other than as a last resort but if the character of this path is such that it can be cycled on then it presumably can be walked on. It's more a question of whether it was intended primarily as a footway, a cycleway or a multi-user way?

At least it confirms my intention to minimise my use of highway=path and to try to be more specific! (:>)

Mike Harris