[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

Guenther Meyer d.s.e at sordidmusic.com
Tue Feb 24 17:47:43 GMT 2009

Am Dienstag 24 Februar 2009 schrieb Dave Stubbs:
> > 1. ... every application trying to use the data has to deal with several
> > taggings for the same thing. that's an unnecessary waste of resources.
> > a script running on the database can minimize this waste, and
> > furthermore, can fix typos in tags, which are also found all over the
> > database.
>
> 1) Typos are a different beast entirely. If you've applied proper
> context then some sort of fix bot might work. And some kind of
> validation tool would be even better.

yes, this is something different, but technically very similar.
you mean validation in the editors?
ok, but not during editing but before the upload/commit.

> 2) OMG two tags!!1! Trust me when I say this is a trivial thing to
> include when you consider some of the other random tagging variations
> that people keep voting in.

it may be trivial, but when you have to do this for every possible tag with
some variations, it's a waste of time, that should not be necessary.
parsing the osm xml files is already a ressource consuming task; every
unnecessary work should be omitted.