[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Feb 24 19:51:08 GMT 2009

On 24/02/2009 17:02, Mike Harris wrote:
> Fwiw - I hold the view that the OS cannot own the status in any way as it is
> the Highway Authority that decides / maintains the status. The only way the
> OS even know about the status is by the Highway Authority telling them - as
> they do (and a few years later the OS *might* amend their mapping! -

But you are overlooking Database Copyright. It's not the individual
facts, but the way in which they are collated as a collection that is
copyrightable. So if you are taking the information off their map, you
are, in effect, ripping off their database.

And yes, they do claim copyright over grid references, when they are
derived from their maps. See the letter they sent to licensees about
superimposing items geolocated from OS maps on top of Google maps recently.

You can't wish this copyright stuff away by disagreeing with it!

David