[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 21:36:40 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:51 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>wrote:

> But you are overlooking Database Copyright. It's not the individual
> facts, but the way in which they are collated as a collection that is
> copyrightable. So if you are taking the information off their map, you
> are, in effect, ripping off their database.

Are you talking about the sui generis rights for databases?

Database Copyright (with capital D and C) is not very precise, especially
not combined with phrases like "ripping off".

> And yes, they do claim copyright over grid references, when they are
> derived from their maps. See the letter they sent to licensees about
> superimposing items geolocated from OS maps on top of Google maps recently.

As far as I understood, they based this on contract law, not a license?
Besides, trying to overstate your rights does not imply that you are right.

 - Gustav