[OSM-talk] overuse of highway=path

Mario Salvini salvini at t-online.de
Fri Feb 27 09:09:36 GMT 2009

Norbert Hoffmann schrieb:
> Mario Salvini wrote:
>

>> So
>>
>> highway=path + bicycle=designated + motor_vehicle=yes
>>

> is nonsense. If anything, it could be highway=track ...
>

>> is not a so unworldly situation out there.
>>

> And even then this is not the "bicycle-street" you talk of. Those are
> physically mostly residentials with special access restrictions and
> priority rules.
>
> Norbert

We normally choose the highway-tag for who is the main-user of the Way.
so a Way with bicycle=designated and motor_vehicle only =yes or maybe
more restrictive like =destination or =delivery or =agricultural it
stills make this way to a cycleway. Never the less of it's
construction-behaviour.
Lot's of  roads are signed as pedestrian precincts and we do not tag
them as residentials, but , as it's correct, as =pedestrian or =footway
(because it's foot=designated but motor_vehicle only "yes" or less
[restrictions])
Here it's the same for a cycleway.

Regards
 Mario