[OSM-talk] oneway yes or true

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Fri Feb 27 11:28:38 GMT 2009

Hi!

Lambertus schrieb:
> What would really add additional information to oneway is: 0, 1 and -1.
> These values additionally give a direction relative to the direction of
> the way. Imho only 0, 1 and -1 are the true options for the oneway tag.

Actually, it would convey less information.

Technically you are right, but by choosing an non-intuitive encoding
that only people with some technical background and metainformation will
understand, you are transporting less information by drastically
decreasing the number of recipients - and people willing to deal with it.

It seems to me that this is just the most basic example of a problematic
tendency. Some people enjoy setting up very complicated structures
because of the many things that can be expressed with them. But you need
  a lot of technical background to understand them and avoid their
pitfalls and probably some advanced tooling to use them.

On the other hand, the way I understood it OSM was a global initative
and is happy for every additional mapper. If this is the goal, we need
structures that you can understand and properly use without a degree in
computer science.

So back to the original topic: "yes" is definitely the most intuitive
value and thus the most useful. My personal preference would be "true" (
but then I have a degree in computer science. :-) but I understand that
it is less intuitive. But 0, 1, -1 needs an additional mapping table and
is incomprehensible to most people, so I deem it unsuitable.

bye
	Nop