[OSM-talk] oneway yes or true

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Feb 27 14:40:44 GMT 2009

Nop wrote:
> On the other hand, the way I understood it OSM was a global
> initative and is happy for every additional mapper. If this is the
> goal, we need structures that you can understand and properly use
> without a degree in computer science.

A good general principle: we should always optimise for ease of mapping.

If we produce a wonderful world map but developers have to jump through a
few hoops to use it, a) we have a wonderful world map, therefore b) people
will - and are doing - produce the tools that jump through the hoops.

If we make it unnecessarily complicated to add data (and that includes using
jargon words like "true" when "yes" is obvious) then we don't get the
mappers, so we don't get the wonderful world map.

cheers
Richard