[OSM-talk] License plan

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 13:04:54 GMT 2009

It looks like we finally got some kind of "License plan" for the step
towards the new license, so everyone check
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Implementation_Plan

Let me start with the obvious questions first:

* why don't you split between the votes whether you like license X and
the question whether you're allowing the change of license on your
data?

After all, I want to have an idea *how much* of the data will still be
there after the second vote. If it turns out that any data from someone
who gave his approval would be deleted, then count me as no vote.

* I still have no response to the question what would happen with my
data if it's derived from someone who doesn't give it's approval for a
license change.

The second person could be tracing yahoo images and later someone else
added all the names after a lot of work on the ground. So he can only
see the removal of his work.

And how are you going to check that anyway? You can do lots of things
with CC-BY-SA data (copying, splitting, merging) where it's impossible

My understanding is for example that if you split a way, there's not a
single connection between the two parts of the way telling that one
derived from the other.

And what with the countless relations? If there's one way added to it by
someone that didn't give approval, the only thing you can do is remove
the relation as it was derived from CC-BY-SA data. Goodbye to your
hundreds of kilometers long routes.

* "Website to allow users to voluntarily agree to new license. Design
allows you to click yes, or if you disagree a further page explaining
the position and asking to reconsider as there may be a requirement to
ultimately remove the users data. This will help stop people
accidentally clicking 'no'. Sign up page now states you agree to
license your changes under both CCBYSA and also ODbL."

Question: how's that not pushing the new license onto the mappers?

Greetings
Ben