[OSM-talk] License plan

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 13:19:18 GMT 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'll comment on various other aspects later but:
>
> Ben Laenen wrote:
> > And what with the countless relations? If there's one way added to
> > it by someone that didn't give approval, the only thing you can do
> > is remove the relation as it was derived from CC-BY-SA data.
> > Goodbye to your hundreds of kilometers long routes.
>
> No, it would be perfectly viable to just remove individual members
> from a relation.

Well no, you assume that all other parts in that relation were added
independently from the ones already in there. But if I see a route
which has a gap and only one possible road to follow between the two
(it was badly connected at a junction for example) I can add that part
as well, which is then derived from the other data.

There's no possible way to tell if part X of the relation was derived
that way or not. And if one or both of those parts that were connected
by me are from someone who doesn't give approval for the license change
and my part is kept we'll end up with wrongly licensed data in the OSM
database.

Ben