[OSM-talk] License plan

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Feb 27 14:08:39 GMT 2009

On 27 Feb 2009, at 13:19, Ben Laenen wrote:

> On Friday 27 February 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I'll comment on various other aspects later but:
>>
>> Ben Laenen wrote:
>>> And what with the countless relations? If there's one way added to
>>> it by someone that didn't give approval, the only thing you can do
>>> is remove the relation as it was derived from CC-BY-SA data.
>>> Goodbye to your hundreds of kilometers long routes.
>>
>> No, it would be perfectly viable to just remove individual members
>> from a relation.
>
> Well no, you assume that all other parts in that relation were added
> independently from the ones already in there. But if I see a route
> which has a gap and only one possible road to follow between the two
> (it was badly connected at a junction for example) I can add that part
> as well, which is then derived from the other data.
>
> There's no possible way to tell if part X of the relation was derived
> that way or not. And if one or both of those parts that were connected
> by me are from someone who doesn't give approval for the license
> change
> and my part is kept we'll end up with wrongly licensed data in the OSM
> database.

Would it be appropriate to continue this conversation on legal-talk?
Talk is very busy at the moment and we have a lovely list of our own :)

With regard to these questions, lets make a clear distinction between
the question (which anyone is qualified to raise) and the answer (for
which one is likely to need to be a lawyer)! Possibly Ben is a lawyer,
I am not sure, but in the past we have tended to form a legal opinion
without ever asking a lawyer.

My company is taking legal advice on the licence and will publish the
conclusions to the community. We will use the Open Issues page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Open_Issues
) as part of the input to our legal review. If you have questions then
please ensure that they are mentioned on that page.

Regards,

Peter Miller
ITO World Ltd