[OSM-talk] License plan

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Feb 27 15:08:58 GMT 2009

On 27 Feb 2009, at 14:42, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Peter Miller wrote:
>> Would it be appropriate to continue this conversation on legal-
>> talk? Talk is very busy at the moment and we have a lovely list of
>> our own :)
>
> At what point do we then intend to include those people who are not
> interested in legal?
>
> Is it safe to assume that anyone who is not on legal-talk need not
> hear about the new license until such time as the web site greets
> him with "please sign up here, and by the way it is too late to
> voice your opinion now"? Is the new license really a "technicality"
> that need not concern the average mapper and has to be kept out of
> his way?
>
> While you are right in saying that talk is busy, I think that the
> important topic of license change - which, no matter how it turns
> out, is likely to have a much bigger impact on the project than the
> question whether, say, one uses "yes" or "true" for boolean values -
> has been relegated to the "legal" cupboard long enough.
>
> The license change is no longer a boring legal affair, it must
> become a mainstream topic, and must in the end be carried by the
> majority of people in this project.

Agreed, but can I suggest we try to keep the detailed legal
discussions legal talk - ie discussion about the implications of this
or that phrase or word on legal-talk and that the conversation on talk
is of a more general form, of the sort that is going on at present -
ie, why are we changing, and what will happen to peoples data if it is
derived from someone's data who is not contactable, or who says no.

To me the big risk is from major contributors who can not be
contacted. or people who bulk imported who can't be contacted. I
suggest people aim to get in contact with major contributors in areas
the care about asap if they have not already done so.

Peter