[OSM-talk] License plan - better on legal@

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Fri Feb 27 16:03:27 GMT 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009 15:42, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Miller wrote:
> > Would it be appropriate to continue this conversation on legal-talk?
> > Talk is very busy at the moment and we have a lovely list of our own :)

Peter, you'r not alone, I'm with you !

> At what point do we then intend to include those people who are not
> interested in legal?

Never on talk. If it is needed, send an email to all contributors for RFC, and
then for "voting"

> Is it safe to assume that anyone who is not on legal-talk need not hear
> about the new license until such time as the web site greets him with
> "please sign up here, and by the way it is too late to voice your
> opinion now"?
No, but talk is not enough either, not every one is subscribed.

> Is the new license really a "technicality" that need not
> concern the average mapper and has to be kept out of his way?
people subscribed on talk cannot be assumed to be interested in legal stuff

> is likely to have a much bigger impact on the project than the question
> whether, say, one uses "yes" or "true" for boolean values -
Having a bigger impact doesn't mean it's well suited for talk.

> The license change is no longer a boring legal affair,
It has, and always will be, in the eyes of the majority.

The best that can be done IMHO is to warn the maximum possible users, but
don't force anyone to follow the discussion he is not interesting in.

This announce as been made, I'd perfer you to continue talking about it on
legal.

--
sly
Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org