[OSM-talk] Should we be mapping tank tracks in Gaza?

sergio sevillano sergiosevillano.mail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 15:15:48 GMT 2009

Peter Miller escribió:
> On the aerial photography for the Gaza Strip there are areas where
> there are tank tracks over some farming areas. Personally I have not
> been mapping these because I don't consider them as permanent
> features. At least one mapper is including them, for example here (to
> straight lines are the traditional tracks, the curved lines are
> probably related to the conflict:
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=31.53651&lon=34.56128&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF
>
> Should the general rule be that we only map what we consider to be
> permanent features? As such we should not map these unless they are
> still there is a year's time and have clearly become normal tracks.

It is very unlikely that those tracks finally get to be real highway=track
e.g.  if my farm land has been passed by tanks, i will recover that land
as soon as i can.
on the work, those tracks will dissapear.

So i dont consider them permanent features.
(some non permanent features have been mapped before...)
any way, as the mapping of the gaza strip comes from the
WikiProjectGazaStrip.
there is some relief intention in that mapping. From that point of view
it might be good to tag some destruction so there is info where to find it.

On the other hand, i see that OSM should have permanent up to date data.
it is likely that the mapping we are doing there wont be updated frequently
so the tracks can last there for loger than needed.

saying all this, maybe we can add some xtra war related tags that gives
us the opportunuty to delete them easely later:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:WikiProject_Palestine_Gaza#Destruction_tags

For me there are two options
- delete those mentioned tracks
- or tag them differently than highway=track wich can lead to confusion.
a proposal is "war=tank_rolling"...

sergio