[OSM-talk] Should we be mapping tank tracks in Gaza?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Feb 27 14:01:40 GMT 2009

On the aerial photography for the Gaza Strip there are areas where
there are tank tracks over some farming areas. Personally I have not
been mapping these because I don't consider them as permanent
features. At least one mapper is including them, for example here (to
straight lines are the traditional tracks, the curved lines are
probably related to the conflict:
http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=31.53651&lon=34.56128&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF

Should the general rule be that we only map what we consider to be
permanent features? As such we should not map these unless they are
still there is a year's time and have clearly become normal tracks.

The photography we purchased is not generally available for licence
reasons, but Google Maps now have photography for the area available
which I think was taken after the start of the conflict. You can check
it out here and see the sort of features we are talking about:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=31.51049,34.533076&spn=0.00933,0.018239&t=h&z=16

Regards,

Peter