[OSM-talk] License plan

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 15:55:31 GMT 2009

From: David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>

>The 'significant' bit is not the point: it only needs people to have
>made *insignificant* changes to other people's *significant* changes
>(including original mapping) to be invalidated.

Linking this chain of thought with the one that myself and Richard Fairhurst were discussing earlier on in another strand of this thread, I wonder if the insignificant changes could/would/should be deemed not to be copyrightable at all. It certainly doesn't add any creativity to change a 'yes' to 'true', and as long as it's insignificant in quantity wouldn't be as a result of hard labour of any sort. Depends on jurisdiction of course, but maybe the contributions of this individual who refuses to agree to the new licence (or maybe just isn't contactable) could therefore be essentially ignored and left as is in the database without worrying about them? At the end of the day, if the individual comes back and objects to this at a later date, we can still remove them at that point in time if they have a good case that their small 'contributions' are indeed copyrightable.

Donald