[OSM-talk] Keep Mapnik relevant

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 1 13:05:43 GMT 2009

Marc Schütz wrote:
>> I notice that abandoned railways are now being rendered on Mapnik.  I'm
>> not sure that this is a good idea.  Fairly near to me there are a few
>> abandoned railway that have  been made into footpaths or cycle paths and
>> they are tagged as such and render as such.
>>

> These should not be tagged as railway=abandoned. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway says:
>
> "Designation not to be used if the feature has been turned into another use, eg cycleway."
>
> Regards, Marc

You do accurately quote the Wiki, but if you take my point further then
that also needs to change:  if people are interested in showing the
route of abandoned railways then the ones that have been reused will
also need to be tagged as abandoned railways.  If these are only
rendered on a railway map (not Mapnik) then any conflict can be resolved
on that map to its maintainers' satisfaction.

The abandoned lines that are now reused in my area are currently not
tagged as railway=abandoned just as the wiki suggests.

Cheers, Chris