[OSM-talk] Trunk and primary routes in the UK

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 1 15:42:06 GMT 2009

Tom

I thought that I had backed off and cleared things up - sorry! Unfortunately your message - for me at least - adds further to the confusion. Surely in the UK "primary" roads (and trunk roads of course) are A roads and A roads are primary roads - whether or not they are part of the "primary route network" (as indicated by street sign colour). OSM has chosen to define its tagging and rendering according to the "primary route network" (and street sign colour) and I am no longer questioning this and have already apologised and corrected back the few changes I had made. BUT ... A roads with white signs are surely still primary roads (and should be tagged as such)? To call an A road a "secondary" road adds enormously to the potential confusion as the term "secondary" is surely reserved in legal, common and OSM parlance for B roads?

Please understand that having raised the issue as a question, having received a firm response from the "old hands" and having willingly accepted this advice as to how best to tag, my only concern is that I do still find the entry on the wiki main page extremely confusing. It certainly wouldn't help - IMHO - to start using a term "secondary A roads" - a real contradiction in terms. I can live with OSM using "trunk" to mean an A road with green signs that is part of the primary road network and using "primary" to mean any other A road (i.e. those with white signs and not forming part of the primary road network) and have willingly accepted this as part of my learning. I do think, however, that to start talking about "secondary A roads" is a real recipe for disaster and endless confusion. Can we not simply live with the terms "primary" and "trunk" as presently defined in OSM and reserve the expression "secondary" for B roads - AFAIK this is what is actually happening on OSM and is consistent with all of the mapping and rendering done so far?

Mike