[OSM-talk] Trunk and primary routes in the UK

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jan 1 16:03:11 GMT 2009

Mike Harris wrote:

> I thought that I had backed off and cleared things up - sorry! Unfortunately your message - for me at least - adds further to the confusion. Surely in the UK "primary" roads (and trunk roads of course) are A roads and A roads are primary roads - whether or not they are part of the "primary route network" (as indicated by street sign colour). OSM has chosen to define its tagging and rendering according to the "primary route network" (and street sign colour) and I am no longer questioning this and have already apologised and corrected back the few changes I had made. BUT ... A roads with white signs are surely still primary roads (and should be tagged as such)? To call an A road a "secondary" road adds enormously to the potential confusion as the term "secondary" is surely reserved in legal, common and OSM parlance for B roads?

I don't know whether "secondary A road" is an official term or not, so
don't treat that as having any significance.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I read your message as saying that some roads
which were not part of the primary route network have green signs, and
as far as I know that is not true. That is basically what I was trying
to say was wrong.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)