[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Properties for Tags

Thu Jan 1 22:31:45 GMT 2009

Sebastian Hohmann wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Properties_for_Tags

Possibly a little overcomplex; it sounds like you're trying to introduce
some form of metatagging - tags about other tags - when limited
metatagging already exists, of a sort (source:name=*, for example).

Stylistically, could existing colon "syntax" be used for what you're
doing here? I've jotted down some stuff about forms I've seen elsewhere
at <URL: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like#Syntactic_
conventions_for_new_tags >, see if you agree. It's admittedly not much
of a formally defined syntax; could it do with being formalised?

There are some corner cases it would be Quite Nice to address with a
generative / metatag scheme: my own bugbears are

   * hour_on and hour_off for specific modes of transport

   * left-side and right-side for (UK:) pavements (US:) sidewalks and
     bicycle paths.

The .only. and .except. stuff sounds like you're trying to mix
predicates and logical inference into this all. Which might be nice, but
this proposal will needs a better explanation of what you're trying to
achieve here in order to sell it. I'd personally like parsing of tag
keys to be simple, and not context-sensitive. Couldn't you do
conditionality in a more future-proof way with S-exps or somesuch in the
tag's value? (Kidding, kidding! I mean XML! D: )

I don't like the notion of the dots sometimes representing simple
hierarchy and sometimes representing logic depending on what atoms are used.

--
Andrew Chadwick