[OSM-talk] Syntactic conventions for tags

Thu Jan 1 23:01:48 GMT 2009

People often ask what the various colons, underscores, semicolons and
whatnot mean within a tag. The answer is that there are no guidelines,
silly; just do what you want! But doesn't mean that de-facto conventions
haven't evolved over time anyway, so I've had a go at documenting them.
Could someone please review and let me know if I've missed anything
important? Better examples would be useful too.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like#Syntactic_conventions_for_new_tags

Thanks. I bet you're all doing something completely different.

(Actually, I like the colon syntax a lot. Wonder if it's worth
formalising that a bit more, saying that either order matters, or order
doesn't matter?)

--
Andrew Chadwick