[OSM-talk] Err, what?

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 15:17:41 GMT 2009

> > What exactly are you referring to? All I can see there is Black Rock
> > City, aka the site of Burning Man.
>
> My first impression when clicking the link in Jonathan's mail was that
> somebody was making a map for their computer game using JOSM and
> accidentally uploaded it, heh.

Excellent. Not too far from the truth. Except you have to drive 8 hours to get to the game, it lasts a week, and everyone wins.

Black Rock City is temporary, one week per year. Each year the city moves to minimize impact on the desert. Next year we'll make a new map.

It does raise the question of how to preserve web mapping history. Burning Man is an extreme example of a dynamic world in flux. Burning Man Flickr photos from 2008 only make sense against the 2008 map.

-Mikel