[OSM-talk] Generating extracts for countries

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jan 9 18:53:06 GMT 2009

Hi,

> Would anyone here be able to point me in the right direction for
> extracting data per country? I have all the data in a local database,
> and I am trying to figure out what the best approach is.

I'm using Osmosis to extract data from a planet file (using the --bp
task). It can also extract several files at once, like this:

osmosis --rx planet.osm --tee 2 --bp file=country1.poly --wx
country1.osm --bp file=country2.poly --wx contry2.osm

If the local database you're talking about is Osmosis-generated then
simply replace the --rx by the appropriate task to read from the data
base. If your local database is osm2pgsql-generated then you can have
PostGIS create extracts but only as partial databases or shapefiles,
never as true OSM files because osm2pgsql is "lossy".

Bye
Frederik