[OSM-talk] JOSM Mappaint - major improvements

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 12 23:07:15 GMT 2009

Hi!

After a week of intensive work, I was able to *significantly* improve
the performance of JOSM mappaint (the standard way JOSM paints the OSM
data).

With the JOSM version of monday, I saw an improvement in my current
tests (machine: WinXp, Core Duo, 1.8GHz) from ~600ms to around ~150ms
for each and every repaint of the map.

This in effect means the difference between annoying or very fluent work.

All in all, this was an improvement worth noting!

I would be interested in reports if this noticably improved the
performance on your machine as well (or not).

BTW: On Unix try optimizations: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

Regards, ULFL

P.S: This breaks Dirks current development work on showing
multipolygons, this is expected to be fixed in the next days ...