[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse=conservation

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 13 17:21:09 GMT 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, at 15:30, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Yes, my first post.  But just me as a map and outdoors enthusiast.
> Not representing W3C.
> No subtext to my post.  Just asking for  tag.

Welcome

> (Now landuse=conservation is in mapnik and osmarender, I am more
> confident we are making progress on this, and will be able to
> motivate people to maintain maps of conservation land.)

This raises a question I have about overloading of tags (if that is
the right term for this). I notice that a nature-reserve is
categorised under leisure, which seems weird. It is not  really there
as a leisure facility and some nature-reserves are not open to the
public and are therefore not leisure facilities. If it was in natural
though then it would clash with conservation and with heath etc. So
how do we manage a piece of conservation land, that is also heath and
a nature-reserve. Currently unless we deploy the dreaded ';' or we
have ways on top of ways we can't currently do it.

> That said, I'm happy to separately talk mapping the OSM to the
> semantic web, OSM and W3C in  in a subject line.

I think it might be worth looking at this. It all feels a bit like the
early days of javascript where many small decisions were made very
fast and we have been living with the consequences ever since. That is
not a criticism of where we are, OSM would not be the success it is
without all those decisions having been made fast, it is only an
observation that a review at this point might pay big dividends in the
future. I will pick the issue up on the other thread.

Peter