[OSM-talk] OSM and Linked Data, and W3C, etc ...

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 21:29:53 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> brendan barrett wrote:
>
> > "Yeah, because none of us have any idea what we're doing, we're just a
> > bunch of clueless fuckwits that are intent on buggering up
> > everything."
> >
> > I think this was a little harsh. When i'm working on a project, I
> > welcome any input I can get. It doesn't mean I stop doing what i'm
> > doing. It never hurts getting others to review things. You don't need
> > to stop development on API 0.6 to do a review. If someone would like
> > to review it (as a parallel process) and post some additional thoughts
> > on the design... then why not? It doesn't have to stop any current
> > work.
>
> If there is somebody out there who can offer constructive and practical
> suggestions on how to improve things then fine. I very much doubt that
> we will get that though.
>
> What we will get is, after we've spent a lot of time and effort bringing
> somebody up to speed on how things work, is a lot of pie in the sky hand
> waving ideas of the sort that lots of people have provided in the past.
>
> It's not like there is any great mystery about what is needed, or that
> there is some magic bullet such that somebody can say "change this
> parameter to Y and it will go ten times faster".

As I said in both of my e-mails Tom, I was suggesting that since Tim
Berners-Lee asked what sort of help the OSM Foundation needed, we could
simply ask him for the name of some people to offer their input and
expertise. Thus, we would have "somebody out there who [could] offer
constructive and practical suggestions."

Where I work, it is commonplace for a group writing one piece of software to
ask for input from another -- not because the second group will derail the
first group's effort, but because their insight might help make the first
group's effort smarter and more efficient.