[OSM-talk] Potlatch again

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jan 14 10:33:32 GMT 2009

Michal Migurski wrote:
> I'm hesitant to blow away the existing guide, but I wonder if it
> can be moved behind a disambiguation page? Something that
> lets you understand different levels of involvement: found a
> mistake, need to add a street, have a spreadsheet of local
> amenities, live in the US where crummy TIGER data exists,
> live in Eastern Europe where there's nothing, have a GPS,
> don't have a GPS, etc.

Interesting idea. So it becomes less "here's the reference manual" and more
"here's a how-to for a given scenario". I can see that working.

One of my two big ambitions for Potlatch 1.0 is online help; the other one
is newbie-friendly tagging. Both of these are going to have to wait for the
AS3 rewrite, I think, because AS3's UI components are just streets ahead of
anything available in AS1/Ming - it'll take away 50% of the work required.

But I wonder whether a good interim solution might be for Potlatch to
trigger the JS pop-up panel (as used for the map key, search results, export
etc.) when you clicked "Help" - which would then call up a set of static
help pages.

cheers
Richard