[OSM-talk] Potlatch again

Erik Johansson emj at kth.se
Thu Jan 15 09:05:14 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Richard Fairhurst
<richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Michal Migurski wrote:
>> I'm hesitant to blow away the existing guide, but I wonder if it
>> can be moved behind a disambiguation page? Something that
>> lets you understand different levels of involvement: found a
>> mistake, need to add a street, have a spreadsheet of local
>> amenities, live in the US where crummy TIGER data exists,
>> live in Eastern Europe where there's nothing, have a GPS,
>> don't have a GPS, etc.
>
> Interesting idea. So it becomes less "here's the reference manual" and more
> "here's a how-to for a given scenario". I can see that working.

The problem with howtos is that they are specific to the needs of one
type of user. And there are so many types of users that it's often
hard to find the howto that fits you. I don't think I would search for
"How to add a street in openstreetmap", instead I would skim the
documentation or the Graphical interface and try it out...

Howtos are great if you can make them into articles, or in Michals
case were he wants to show a certain type of users how to do a
specific task.

Though it might still be bette than what we have.

--
/emj