[OSM-talk] Upload of relation from JOSM fails

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:03:45 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Erik Lundin <erik.lundin at aol.se>:

> When I try to upload any change to relation 36947 (route E 18) from
> JOSM, the answer gets
>
> upload to: http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/relation/36947...connected
> got return: 412 with id 36947

I got this same error trying to operate on members of the relation for
route E 201, which has more than 1000 members. It looks like either
JOSM or API has a lot of work to do in such cases, and if processing
takes too long, the operation times out. I too found that Potlatch
would succeed in cases where JOSM would not, but that could be a
simple matter of a more generous timeout.

What I'm not clear about is whether relations with so many members are
a good idea.

Dermot