[OSM-talk] Upload of relation from JOSM fails

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 14 19:08:31 GMT 2009

Hi,

Dermot McNally wrote:
> 2009/1/14 Erik Lundin <erik.lundin at aol.se>:
>
>> When I try to upload any change to relation 36947 (route E 18) from
>> JOSM, the answer gets
>>
>> upload to: http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/relation/36947...connected
>> got return: 412 with id 36947
>
> I got this same error trying to operate on members of the relation for
> route E 201, which has more than 1000 members.

The reason for this error is that the API will reject (with
"precondition failed") any relation which contains a way where one of
the nodes in that way is deleted.

This "should" not happen (ways should never reference deleted nodes) but
it does happen.

The more members a relation has, the likelier it is to stumble across
one such inconsistency.

Please do not create relations of that size, it helps nobody.

The way I usually fix this is by saving the relation XML to a file and
then using "binary search" and the <-- --> operators to narrow down the
area in the XML that contains the buggy way, until I find the (usually
one) way which I can leave out and make everything work.

There may be other options, perhaps it is possible to download all
relation members in JOSM and check which is flagged "incomplete" afterwards.

Bye
Frederik