[OSM-talk] Language rendering query

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Fri Jan 16 15:51:31 GMT 2009

D Tucny wrote:

> The T at H installation instructions tell you to install
> the DejaVu font, a free font, however, it's coverage,
<snip>
> is missing some pretty large chunks that would likely
> take significantly more effort than has so far gone into
> the font to fill... as such, to render any of the missing
> languages (listed below) alternative fonts are needed...

<snip>

What I don't understand is even if you install alternative fonts, the osmarender stylesheets have entries such as this from caption-z11.xml:

            /* Places - generic styles */
            .caption-casing {
        				fill: white;
                stroke: white;
                font-family: "DejaVu Sans";
                font-weight: normal;
                text-anchor: middle;
                stroke-miterlimit: 1.5;
            }

            .caption-core {
                stroke: white;
                stroke-width: 0px;
                font-family: "DejaVu Sans";
                font-weight: normal;
                text-anchor: middle;
                stroke-miterlimit: 1.5;
            }

How would it know to use a font other than DejaVu Sans even if they were installed? And in case it is relevant I'm using Windows?

Ed