[OSM-talk] Wanted: 64 Garmin data cables

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 11:30:48 GMT 2009

Some of you may have noticed that while we have had a donation of 68 GPS
units and assorted cables, it only included 4 Garmin data cables.

For some purposes, such as mapping parties, one data cable can be shared
between several GPS units.  But for maximum geographical distribution we
really need a data cable for each GPS unit.  So I'm putting out an appeal
for anyone who has a spare or unused Garmin data cable to donate it to the
Foundation.

As most computers these days don't have serial ports, what we really need is
both serial data cables and the corresponding serial to USB cables.

This is the actual serial cable:
http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010-10206-00

There are also USB versions that don't need an extra serial to USB
converter, like this one:
http://gpsbitz.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=22

We have started to identify recipents for the GPS units in developing
countries, but it would be no use sending the GPS units without this
proprietary cable as they are prohibitively expensive for people in these
countries.

If you have a spare or unused cable that you would like to donate, please
send it to the foundation at:
OpenStreetMap Foundation
16 Oakfield Glade
Weybridge
KT13 9DP
United Kingdom

If you haven't got a cable to donate, you can, of course, make a donation of
£15 which would enable us to buy one cable:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Donations

Thank you
Etienne