[OSM-talk] 68 GPS units donated to OSM

Gisle Sælensminde gsale at broadpark.no
Sun Jan 18 17:20:49 GMT 2009

Chris Hill skrev:
> But to push the average sample rate for an area up to a useful level you will need about a 100 trips on the same road - easy near a depot or a big customer, not so elsewhere.  It might give a reasonable track in very slow-moving traffic.
>
> Just uploading all the tracks to OSM and then looking at the combined download with JOSM will give you the average.  I think Potlatch joins the points together with a line which might be distracting when they are three minutes apart.

It may be that the way JOSM and potlatch work is not optimal for such
data, so that they require extra processing. I do not think that you
need 100 times coverage, and also this depends on the road. Since 3
minutes is 180 seconds, this is equivalent to sampling every 1.8
seconds, and in rural areas this is more than required. It is also not
unlikely that one of many hundreds of cars pass a single road 100 times
during a year, so I would still think that these data can be useful a
lot more places than just outside a depot. For some rural roads it may
take a very long time to get enough coverage, but eventually there will
be coverage, since these data is collected every day of the year.

As mentioned, I can look at these data and see what can be done.

Gisle Sælensminde
(email - gsale - broadpark - no)