[OSM-talk] name tags on place=country and how they're rendered on lowzoom

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 20:33:30 GMT 2009

2009/1/19 Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk>:
> Can you give an example please?
> The change I instigated in mapnik was to pick up the place=country tag combination from the database and map that.

Oh this isn't a place=country, it's particularly the "Lake Onegh"
halfway between the labels "Finland" and "Russian Federation"
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=61.7&mlon=36.7&zoom=5&layers=B000FTF).
 (note that the lake as a patch of water also doesn't appear at this
zoom level)

Not meaning to say that it shouldn't be rendered... just wondering
where the names are pulled from.  If you look at Moscow, it renders as
Moskva (which *is* in the database -- but only as "name:no")

Cheers