[OSM-talk] Import populated places from vmap0

Upliner Mikhalych upliner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:21:08 GMT 2009

Hello all,

I want to import populated place names from vmap0 for some regions of Russia.
There are many blank areas in Russia without any data, so vmap0 data,
especially place names can be a quite good basis for these regions
(road network is better to trace using satellite imagery).

I have already made conversion scripts. Only problem is that I haven't
found a way to determine place type (city, town, village, hamlet) in
vmap.
Approximate type of places can be guessed by satellite imagery, but
this can take a long time and still need specification.
So how imported points should be tagged? It is desirable that place
names will be rendered in Mapnik.
Have you any ideas?

Sorry for by English
Best regards,