[OSM-talk] Network Rail UK

Kærast kaerast at newscloud.com
Wed Jan 21 21:14:32 GMT 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:45:22 +0000
andrew heggie <list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk> wrote:

> Is it possible to derive a vector layer of UK's rail network and
> would I be allowed to use it to produce reports for my work? If so
> how because it will save me a lot of tracing!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only ever seen some pdf maps
for the national rail network on the nationalrail website.  These
*could* be put into Map Warper at http://wrp.geothings.net/ and then
used as a wms layer in Josm but they're not at all accurate compared
to what we already have.  They'd perhaps show us where we are missing
sections, but not be useful enough to trace.

There may be usable data available either that I've just not come
across, or that would be made available through a Freedom of
Information request (I'd hazard a guess the response will be ask
Ordnance Survey)

Also, whilst on the subject, much of the uk rail network is mapped -
but mostly with just single ways.  It would be nice to see the number
of tracks shown either with tracks=* or just extra tracks added in.

--
Alice