[OSM-talk] Import populated places from vmap0

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu Jan 22 17:42:02 GMT 2009

At 04:47 AM 22/01/2009, D Tucny wrote:
>I'm just looking at mapping the correct feature types and looking at the possibility of matching administrative records to populated place records in an attempt to calculate place size...

Are you writing in Perl? I have an extract script that does both and well-tested; happy to send you it.  FYI, i've been doing a lot of work adding is_in:xxxx (country, country_code,  state, county, municipality, island ...) tags for the same purpose, calculating place size from discrete points and for the eventual generation of a hierachical gazeteer.

Mike