[OSM-talk] HowTo : Import from .shp (ESRI) (or convert to .osm )

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 16:42:35 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Steven Le Roux <steven at le-roux.info> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I announed some day ago that I could use data from my urban community
> (group of city). (if you want a preview of coverage :
>
> http://applications-internet.brest-metropole-oceane.fr/VIPDU40/aspx/HTDU401.aspx
> )
>
> After a rendez-vous, it occurs it all the data from the city that I
> can import ! it's really great... BUT :
>
> all the files are .shp .dbf etc... from ESRI software. I can use them
> into QGis, but what are the different ways to convert in a .osm to
> upload with josm for example.
>
> I am looking for experience from guys who have already imported datas
> just like these.
>
> I have shapefiles with both POI (red light, recyble bin,etc...) and
> polygon datas (parking, school, building, landuse...).
>
> Files are binary files... I could convert to csv, and make a script,
> but I guess there are already solutions being...
>
> Any clue ?

I have a java-based shp -> osm converter that you can use, but the website
for it is currently offline because my hosting provider upgraded rails to an
unsupported version.

Anyway, let me know if you are still in need of help on this conversion.
Once the website is up I can point you to the download and a quick tutorial
on how to use it.